12 Things to Know About Black Bear Diner
You can find plenty of good Southern homestyle cooking at Black Bear Diner. Did I mention their menu is priced for affordability? What started back in 1995 in the small town of Mount Shasta, California, has grown to be one of the biggest franchised restaurants serving the Western side of the United States.
We’ve put together 12 things about Black Bear Diner to help you get the most out of your dining experience and learn more about the great American-style comfort food they serve!
1. At Black Bear Diner, You Can Order from the Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner Menu at Any Time of the Day
Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? Luckily at Black Bear Diner, you can order from any menu (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) at any time, any day.
The Black Bear Diner menu, or as they call it, “The Black Bear Gazette”, is packed full of classic American comfort food for the whole family. They pride themselves on serving “BEAR-sized” portions at an affordable price.
When you visit a restaurant for the first time, it’s always good to know what the crowd favorites are. Some of Black Bear Diner’s most popular dishes include:
- Prime Rib: served as a weekly special on Fridays and Saturdays after 4 p.m.
- Chicken-Fried Steak (check out fact #7 to learn more!)
- The GRIZZ! – Two giant sweet cream pancakes, three eggs, two slices of thick-cut bacon, two apple-sausage links, AND a smoked ham steak
- Sweet Cream Pancakes: make sure to check out their seasonal pumpkin pancakes during the holidays
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast (check out fact #6 to learn more!)
For diners looking for something a bit healthier on the menu, they still have plenty of choices.
Try out their salads, ½ sandwich with a bowl of soup, breakfast scrambles, blackened salmon, and a small club sandwich.
They also have a “Little Less” section on each menu for those who don’t have a hungry black bear-sized appetite!
Looking for a delicious Christmas Dinner? Most Black Bear Diner locations are open on Christmas Day – call your neighborhood diner for specific hours. pic.twitter.com/tFFTra6tUO— Black Bear Diner (@BlackBearDiner) December 22, 2018
2. Black Bear Diner Hours Are From 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Most Black Bear Diners are open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Although Black Bear Diner runs partly as a franchise, some locations have slightly different hours of operation.
If you’re curious to know, check the Black Bear Diner website to look up your local diner’s hours.
Black Bear Diner also is conveniently open during the holidays. They open for their guests on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. You may want to give your local diner a call if you plan on visiting during the holidays because their hours may vary from regular business hours
4 ways to get your paws on our housemade favorites: dine-in, call-in, online @ https://t.co/A0zSf41QYi or your favorite 3rd party delivery service!— Black Bear Diner (@BlackBearDiner) July 3, 2020
📷: https://t.co/3q6OIhx5BT pic.twitter.com/Jeef0xQUXb
3. Black Bear Diner Has Delivery
Like most restaurants nowadays, Black Bear Diner has expanded their service options and added delivery as an option for customers.
You can order directly through Black Bear Diner’s website or through a food delivery service that operates near you (Postmates, Uber Eats, GrubHub, or DoorDash).
In addition to delivery, they also offer pickup and curbside pickup options through their website.
The delivery cost is also dependent on what delivery service you use, your order total, and where you live.
4. Black Bear Diner Serves Breakfast All-Day
Customers can order an early morning breakfast at 6 a.m. when the diner opens or late-night breakfast for dinner until they close. Some of the most popular breakfast menu items at Black Bear Diner include the GRIZZ!, BIGFOOT Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs, and their Cinnamon Roll French Toast.
The breakfast menu is extensive, including everything from breakfast classics, pancakes, waffles, French toast, bear’s choice breakfast combos, omelets, scrambles, breakfast burritos, bear’s benedicts, beary lite options, little less options, and kid’s breakfast.
You can check out Black Bear Diner’s full breakfast menu here.
5. Black Bear Diner Serves Delicious Housemade Biscuits
Any restaurant that serves classic American breakfast needs to have delicious, thick country-style biscuits, and Black Bear Diner succeeds with its tall, bear-sized biscuits!
The biscuits come with many of the breakfast menu combos on the side. They also offer decent-sized biscuits and gravy as a breakfast side to add to any meal for only $5.
6. Black Bear Diner Combines Two Breakfast Classics – Cinnamon Rolls and French Toast
At Black Bear Diner, you don’t have to choose between two classic American breakfast sweets when they offer their Cinnamon Roll French Toast for only $10.
This crowd-pleaser consists of three slices of cinnamon rolls dipped in French toast batter. Then grilled and topped with icing and powdered sugar. In case your guilt starts kicking in, don’t worry because they serve fresh fruit on the side!
7. Black Bear Diner Serves Classic Chicken Fried Steak 3 Ways
Chicken Fried Steak might just be the dish that Black Bear Diner is most known for, and with their Southern homestyle menu, it is almost expected to be on the menu.
Black Bear Diner likely exceeds your expectations with their beef battered, deep-fried, and smothered with gravy that they choose to offer three ways.
- BIGFOOT Chicken Fried Steak ($16): Full-course dinner option and fit for a big hungry bear-sized appetite. The meal comes with soup and salad to start and your choice of sides.
- Bear Paw Chicken Fried Steak ($14): Found under the “Little Less” section on the dinner menu. This portion size is perfect for seniors or diners with a smaller appetite.
- BIGFOOT Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs ($15): It also includes three eggs your way and two housemade biscuits.
They also offer just plain Chicken Fried Steak for $13 on the breakfast menu.
8. Black Bear Diner Has a Dessert Display Case with Over 10 Desserts to Choose From
If your big bear-sized dinner just didn’t quite fill you up, don’t forget to check out their amazing display of desserts for just $5-6. You can choose from:
- Brownie Sundae
- Banana Split
- Floats made with your choice of soda
- 5-layer Chocolate Cake
- Grandma’s famous Cobblers
- California Cheesecake
- Dreamy Cream Pies
- Bear Claw
- Bread Pudding
- and more!
If you’re already too stuffed from your meal, then ask your server for dessert to take out. You can also add the chocolate cake and cheesecake to your delivery order.
Begin your morning off on the bright side of breakfast with new Family Meals TO-GO, starting at $19.99! ☝️✅ Introducing the Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs Family Meal. Order carryout or delivery where available. https://t.co/6jhwjsRCJE pic.twitter.com/2Z3RCpZljG— Black Bear Diner (@BlackBearDiner) April 4, 2020
9. You Can Order Family Meals To-Go from Black Bear Diner
Black Bear Diner is all about spending time with friends and family. They have even managed to bring together families without having to leave the comfort of their home. You can order their Family Meals To-Go and enjoy a Black Bear Diner meal right at your kitchen table.
The Black Bear Diner Family Meals are made to feed 3-4 people. Some of the Family Meal options include:
- Chicken Fried Steak & Eggs
- Cheeseburger Sliders
- Fried Chicken
- Fish & Chips
- Roasted Turkey
At just $20 to $40, these meals for the family are a steal! You can order them for pickup or delivery through the Black Bear Diner website or local food delivery services.
10. Kids Receive a Free Cub-Sized Dessert When Ordering from the Kid’s Menu After 11 a.m.
Just like the regular menu, kids can order anything from the Black Bear Diner’s Kid’s Menu at any time. Even better, if they order after 11 a.m., they receive one of two free desserts.
The two choices include:
- A scoop of Ice-Cream: This isn’t just any old plain scoop of ice cream. Choose from vanilla, chocolate, or huckleberry. The dessert is topped with whipped cream and your choice of toppings, including fudge and sprinkles.
- Fresh Sliced Strawberries: For parents who want a “faux-dessert” option for their kiddos, they can choose the strawberries topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.
The Black Bear Diner kid’s menu includes everything from pancakes, eggs, pizza, mac & cheese, burger sliders, and more.
If you haven’t had coconut cream pie, today is the day. pic.twitter.com/O6TSPfXUNQ— Black Bear Diner (@BlackBearDiner) May 2, 2017
11. Black Bear Diner Has Fresh Made Mini Cream Pies
One of Black Bear’s most popular dessert menu items is their “Dreamy Cream Pies.” Diners have the choice between chocolate, banana, or coconut-flavored cream pies. The mini pies are baked for one but can easily be shared by two people.
Don’t forget if you’re overstuffed from your meal and can’t fathom eating anymore, you can always ask your server for a pie for the road!
Our e-club will bring a bear-y big smile to your face! Receive a Bear Claw and a cup of coffee just for signing up, and enjoy perks like a free birthday breakfast and exclusive deals all year long. https://t.co/M1fB7oEQNM pic.twitter.com/WoL6Pi4oX4— Black Bear Diner (@BlackBearDiner) December 5, 2018
12. Breakfast is Free on Your Birthday at Black Bear Diner
That’s right. Breakfast is on the house during your birthday, not just a small free dessert!
The Black Bear free birthday breakfast includes two eggs your way and two slices of bacon or two apple sausage links.
To claim your free breakfast during your birthday, you must sign-up for Black Bear Diner’s loyalty program.
Upon signing up, you will receive the birthday coupon that you can use up to 10 days before to 3 days after the date of your birthday.
Now you should know all the ins and outs of Black Bear Diner, including their must-have menu items. Regardless of the time of day, make sure you check out their entire menu – breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Also, don’t forget to pick up one of their many desserts on your way out!
Take advantage of a free breakfast meal on your birthday by signing up for the rewards program, order Family Meals To-Go, and make sure you leave Black Bear Diner as your list of places to eat during the holidays.
Lastly, don’t forget to take a picture in front of the 12-foot carved black bear located at the entrance of every Black Bear dining location!
If you’re interested in finding out more restaurant tips, check out the related articles below.