Can You Use Amazon Gift Cards at Whole Foods? (No, But Prime Works!)
Amazon’s acquisition of Whole Foods back in 2017 changed a lot of dynamics in the grocery industry. The day Amazon announced the deal’s closure, news spread very fast and hit all major media headlines.
Millions of people love Whole Foods because they offer high-quality, organic, and natural foods. This partnership allowed the e-commerce giant to capitalize on Whole Food’s good reputation and have physical stores expand its presence in the grocery industry.
Many consumers question what benefits this partnership provides and if they can use Amazon gift cards at Whole Foods now.
No, unfortunately, you cannot use Amazon gift cards at Whole Foods. Amazon gift cards can only be used on the Amazon website or the app. However, if you have an Amazon Prime membership, there are exclusive benefits available to Prime members when you shop at Whole Foods.
This article will talk about the benefits of using Prime membership at Whole Foods. I also researched the answers to the most common questions about Amazon gift cards, and here’s what I found.
What Are the Benefits of Using Amazon Prime at Whole Foods?
Amazon Prime members have the following benefits when they shop at Whole Foods:
1. Extra Savings and Exclusive Deals
If you see a Yellow sign on an item at Whole Foods, that means Amazon Prime members can get an additional 10% off on that item. (Please note alcohol is excluded).
Whole Foods also has Blue signs on some items, which means this deal is exclusive to Prime Members only.
2. Free 2-hour delivery on groceries
You can shop groceries on the Amazon app or at Amazon.com/WholeFoods and get a 2-hour free delivery if the service is available in your ZIP code.
This is an exclusive perk for Prime members. You can learn more about the free-delivery here.
3. Shop with Alexa
If you live in a ZIP code where grocery delivery is available, you can ask Alexa about the exclusive Prime member deals and add the items to your Whole Foods cart.
It is an excellent convenience for Prime members.
To make sure you get the exclusive savings at Whole Foods as a Prime member, you need do one of the three things below:
- Download and install the Whole Foods Market app on your phone. Sign in using your Amazon account and scan the QR code at the checkout. OR;
- Launch the Amazon app on your phone and type “Whole Foods QR” in the search box. Scan the QR code at the checkout. OR;
- Provide the phone number associated with your Amazon Prime account at the checkout (You will need to verify your phone number in the Whole Foods Market app or at Amazon.com/primesavings
What Stores Accept Amazon Gift Cards?
We love to get Amazon gift cards from our friends and family, especially during the holiday season.
There are millions of products on Amazon that you can purchase using your Amazon gift card. However, there are limitations to the use of Amazon gift cards.
Amazon gift cards can only be redeemed and spent at Amazon.com or on the Amazon app. There are no other third-party stores or websites that accept Amazon gift cards.
I called the Amazon Customer Service to find out if an Amazon gift card balance could be used to purchase another gift card on Amazon’s website.
The customer service rep. said this was a great question and put me on hold for 10 mins to find the answer.
This would be a great workaround if it worked, but unfortunately, it is not allowed to use your Amazon gift card balance to purchase another brand’s gift card.
How To Purchase an Amazon Gift Card?
You can purchase Amazon gift cards on the Amazon website or the app, and at hundreds of participating retail stores.
If you are purchasing a physical gift card at the store, they are available in preset amounts of $10, $25, $50, and $100.
If you are purchasing it on the Amazon website, there are some options available to you:
1. eGift Card
If you select the “eGift Card” option, you can send it to the recipient via e-mail or text message.
You can choose any amount for the gift card and personalize the message for your friend or family member.
2. Print at Home
If you select the “Print at Home” option, you can print the gift card at home within 5 minutes and give it to the recipient in person.
You can select any amount for the gift card and add a personalized message.
You can also choose to send the gift card by mail. There are different packaging options available, such as envelope, birthday cupcake tin, birthday pop-up box, and a gift box.
The minimum gift card amount depends on the packaging option you choose.
You can follow the steps below to order a gift card on Amazon:
- Go to Gift Cards
- Choose what type of gift card you want to purchase (eGift, Print at Home, Mail)
- Select “Add to Cart” and click “Proceed to Checkout”
- Enter your payment information and click “Continue” (Amazon asks you to verify the payment method used to purchase the gift card to print at home or resend to the recipient via e-mail or text)
- Click “Place Your Order”
Please note there is a $10,000 daily limit for anyone who purchases Amazon gift cards on Amazon or its affiliated websites.
How To Redeem an Amazon Gift Card?
There are two ways of redeeming an Amazon gift card on Amazon.com or the Amazon app.
For either of them, you will need to have the claim code to redeem your card.
If you received an eGift card, you could find the claim code in the e-mail.
If you received a physical card, you could see the claim code on the back of the card (You may need to scratch the coated area to reveal the code)
To redeem your card on the Amazon website:
- Go to Amazon.com and login to your account
- Click “Accounts & Lists” on the right of the search box
- Click “Gift cards” on Your Account page
4. On the gift card page, you can see your gift card balance. Click “Redeem a Gift Card” to proceed to the next step. You can also see the history of your gift card activities on this page.
5. Enter the claim code found on your gift card and click “Apply to your balance”
Your gift card amount will be added to your Amazon account balance and used next time you purchase on Amazon.
To redeem your card using the Amazon app:
- Launch the Amazon app on your mobile device or tablet
- Tap the “Menu” (three horizontal lines)
- Tap “Gift Card & Registry” under the Programs & Features section
- You will see your current gift card balance on this page. Tap the down arrow to expand the menu
- Tap “Redeem an Amazon Gift Card”
- Enter your claim code found on the gift card and click “Apply to your balance”
Your gift card amount will be added to your Amazon account balance and automatically taken off the next time you purchase on Amazon.
Does an Amazon Gift Card Expire?
According to Amazon’s terms and conditions, Amazon gift cards issued after October 1, 2005, do not expire in the US after they are redeemed.
That means you can spend your gift card balance at any time, and there is no need to worry about the expiration date.
Keep in mind these terms and conditions apply to Amazon gift cards in the US. If you live in another country, check out Amazon’s local website to find out the terms and conditions of Amazon gift cards at your location.
In this article, we covered whether or not you can use Amazon gift cards at Whole Foods. We learned that Amazon gift cards could only be used on the Amazon website or the app.
We also learned that Prime members get exclusive benefits when they shop at Whole Foods and explained those perks.
Additionally, we answered the most common questions about Amazon gift cards to help you get the best out of it the next time you get one!
Image Credits: Whole Foods Market, Amazon