Does Costco Take Apple Pay? (In Clubs, Online and Gas Stations)
Costco is one of the best places to buy groceries in bulk. They accept many different payment options in clubs and online. Whether or not they take Apple Pay is today’s hot question.
Costco accepts Apple Pay in clubs, online, and at the food court. However, they do not accept Apple Pay at Costco gas stations. Additionally, Costco does not accept Apple Card in clubs, which is a MasterCard credit card. When paying with a credit card in Costco clubs, customers must use a Visa card.
Apple Pay isn’t the only payment option Apple offers. Some Costco customers also have an Apple Card. Keep on reading to find out more information about using Apple Pay and other payment methods at Costco!
I was at @Costco this morning. I got to the cashier and after ringing my items, I realized I did not have my wallet. Cashier asked if I have Apple Pay. I said yes! Cashier said well you do not need your wallet. Thank God I remembered my password and paid with Apple Pay. #ApplePay— Alasana Bah (@boraba) December 26, 2020
How To Use Apple Pay at Costco
Using Apple Pay at Costco is easier than most other grocery stores. Once you are at the checkout lane, tell the cashier that you will pay using Apple Pay and bring your phone next to the NFC card reader to complete the payment process.
While paying with Apple Pay at Costco is an easy process, there are slightly different steps to follow, depending on whether you are paying in stores, online, or using the app.
So, thanks to Apple Support, I have outlined exactly how to pay with Apple Pay at Costco via all three avenues:
How to Use Apple Pay in Costco Clubs
Follow the instructions below to use Apple Pay for purchases made in Costco Clubs:
Using Apple Pay with iPhone Face ID:
- Double-click the side button to use your default card
- Authenticate via your Face ID or passcode
- Then, hold your phone near the reader until you see a checkmark on the display
Using Apple Pay with iPhone Touch ID:
- Rest your finger on the Touch ID
- Then, hold your phone near the reader until you see the checkmark
Using Apple Pay with Apple Watch:
- Double-click the side button
- Then, hold your Apple Watch near the reader with the display facing the reader
- You will feel a gentle buzz when the transaction is complete
How to Use Apple Pay at Costco Online
You can follow the steps below to use Apple Pay for Costco online orders:
Using Apple Pay with your Desktop:
- First, you must make sure you are signed in with your Apple ID on all devices
- You will need your Apple Watch or iPhone to complete the purchase
- Turn on the Bluetooth on your laptop or desktop
- Then, tap the Apple Pay button
- Check to make sure all of the information is correct and when you are ready, confirm the payment
- You will confirm the payment the same way you do in stores, either with Face ID, Touch ID, or your Apple Watch, minus the card reader
Using Apple Pay with your iPhone:
- Tap the Apple Pay button and check all of your information to make sure it’s correct
- Then, confirm your purchase via Face ID, Touch ID, or Apple Watch
How to Use Apple Pay on the Costco App
Here’s what you need to do to use Apple Pay using the Costco App:
- Choose Apple Pay as your payment method and check to make sure all of the information is correct
- Then, confirm your payment via Face ID, Touch ID, or Apple Watch
If you would like to pay with a different card than the default card set up with your Apple Pay account, below are the steps you’ll need to follow:
Using Apple Pay with Apple Face ID:
- Double-tap the side button. The default card will pop up, and you’ll tap it to choose another card.
- Then, authenticate using your Face ID, and you are ready to pay.
Using Apple Pay with Apple Touch ID:
- Without resting your finger on the Touch ID, place your phone near the reader. The default card will pop up, and you’ll tap it to choose a different one.
- Then, rest your finger on the Touch ID to finish the transaction.
Using Apple Pay with Apple Watch:
- Double-tap the side button to bring up your default card.
- Tap the card to change it, and then you can finish your transaction.
@Costco @Citi I want to use Apple Pay with my Costco Citi card at Costco gas stations!— R K (@RKKTW) June 27, 2019
Does Costco Gas Accept Apple Pay?
Costco gas stations do not accept Apple Pay as a payment method. The machines are not equipped with this technology yet. For now, you can pay for Costco gas via all Visa cards, the Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi, Most PIN-based debit cards, or your Costco shop card.
Costco gas prefers Visa credit and debit cards. It will not accept any other credit card besides Visa, but most debit cards will be accepted if the customer types in their PIN.
The specifics of why Costco doesn’t accept any credit card other than Visa is explained below!
Love the self-serve kiosk at the #costco food court. I can order, pay (via #applepay), and get a receipt for my slice of pizza and soda in less than 10 seconds.— Jason Moon (@JSONMOON) September 24, 2019
Can You Use Apple Pay at Costco Food Court?
You can use Apple Pay to pay at Costco food court. This may be the easiest way to use Apple Pay at Costco. Once you are ready to check out, all you have to do is press the check-out button, and the kiosk will be Apple Pay ready. Then, you can pay via Face ID, Touch ID, or Apple Watch in a matter of seconds.
Previous Costco customers have commented on how user-friendly the Costco food court kiosks are.
Some have said that if you know what you want, you can have the entire process complete – food in hand – in less than fifteen seconds.
If you only purchase one item, the entire transaction only requires you to press two buttons, scan your phone, or watch, and that’s it!
What Payment Methods Does Costco Accept?
Costco accepts all Visa credit and debit cards, most other debit cards when the PIN is used, the Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi, Costco shop cards, personal and business checks from current Costco members, Traveler’s checks, EBT, cash, and mobile payments via Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung pay.
Customers using Costco online have a slightly different selection of payment methods to choose from. The accepted payment methods for Costco online include:
- All Visa debit and credit cards
- Most other debit cards, when the PIN is used
- The Costco Anywhere Visa Card
- Costco shop cards
- Discover Cards, including Diners Club and JCB
Why Doesn’t Costco Take MasterCard?
Customers can use their MasterCard debit card at Costco warehouses and on their website. However, MasterCard credit cards are not accepted in clubs because Costco made a deal with Citi Visa in 2015 to make Citi Visa their primary credit card. Costco does not accept American Express or Discover credit cards either.
The Costco support page states that MasterCard and Discover cards are still accepted via Costco.com orders, but these credit cards are no longer accepted in stores.
Those that have a MasterCard debit card can still use it in stores as long as they enter their PIN during the transaction.
We can’t pay with Apple Pay at Walmart, and we can’t pay with Apple Card at Costco. ☹️🙃— Arnold (@ArnoldAaron13) September 4, 2020
Can You Use Apple Card at Costco?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Apple Card at Costco. You can use Apple Pay, but the Apple Card is a MasterCard credit card, which is no longer accepted at Costco stores. Costco’s website accepts MasterCard, so customers can use their Apple Card for Costco online purchases, but not in their club locations.
Apple Card is Apple’s reinvention of the traditional credit card. All of your credit card information remains safely on your iPhone.
The user-friendly account doesn’t have any fees and even has built-in tools to help you pay less interest. Not only that, but with daily purchases, customers get cashback.
Customers can even apply for their Apple Card without it affecting their credit score!
Mobile payments have changed the way we pay for things and have even changed whether or not someone even needs to carry a wallet in the first place! Apple Pay is progressively one of the fastest and easiest ways to pay for nearly anything today.
Not only can you use Apple Pay in Costco stores, but you can use it to pay online and through the app as well. The only thing you can’t use it for is buying gas at Costco gas stations.
If you’re interested in finding out more about shopping at Costco, check out the related articles below.
Costco Membership: Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Everything You Need to Know About Costco’s Hours
Costco Gift Cards: Where to Buy and How to Use Them
Costco App: It Has New Features Including the Digital Membership Card
Kirkland Signature: What You Need to Know About Costco’s Store Brand